Gout: A New Treatment For an Old Disease
Gout is a form of arthritis due to the buildup of uric acid crystals in one or more important joints. Uric acid is a byproduct that is produced when certain foods containing purines are usually metabolized. Although uric acid normally is excreted through the filtering system into the urine, people who have gout possess an accumulation of uric acid in the joints. This causes an inflammatory reaction leading to pain and swelling in the affected joints.
- An increased risk for gout comes with eating foods rich in purines.
- Examples are: salmon, sardines, organ meats, asparagus, mushrooms as well as herring.
Gout is more common in people who are overweight, beverage excessive amounts of alcohol or who have high cholesterol, diabetes and high blood pressure. Males create gout more often than women. Women are more likely to develop gout after menopause. Gout also tends to run in families.
Medicines that can Cause Gout Include:
Fluid pills used to treat high blood pressure.
Gout Treatment Uric Acid GoutMedical.com
http://www.GoutMedical.com Find out how about to cure gout fast and 4 gout myths you still think are true. What is gout? Gout is a kind of arthritis. It can cause an ...
Niacin (a B-Complex Vitamin)
Low doses of aspirin.
Cyclosporine, a medication used to prevent the body from rejecting a new organ after transplant surgery
Some Cancer Drugs
Pyrazinamide, a drug used to treat tuberculosis.
Symptoms of Gout Usually Occur Suddenly and Often Begin At Night
The big toe joint is a favorite target. However, other joints such as the feet, ankles, knees, hands and wrists can be affected. The joint(s) become red, hot as well as swollen. The pain can be intense.
- Not treated, a gout attack could last for days or even weeks.
- With an increase of assaults, more important joints can become affected, and the attacks will keep going longer.
Gout Attacks Continue for Several Years, Someone May Develop Tophi
These are uric acid crystals that type lumps under the skin. Tophi typically occur on the toes, fingers, hands and elbows. A patient may also produce kidney disease or kidney stones from uric acid crystals that collect in the urinary tract.
- Patients should maintain proper fat.
- Other co-morbid conditions such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol or diabetes should be treated.
Patients should be counseled to avoid alcohol and foods that are high in purines.
Medicines can Prevent Future Gout Attacks.
Medicines are divided into two groups. Non-steroidal-anti-inflammatory drug treatments (NSAIDS) and also colchicines are drugs that will abort a severe strike. They don't reduce the amount of uric acid in the system.
The second group of medications can lower the amount of uric acid in the blood and also reduce the amount of uric acid in the joints and kidneys.
- Probenicid is a drug that causes an individual to be able to urinate out more uric acid.
- It is effective in younger patients who expel normal numbers of uric acid in the urine and who have normal kidney function.
Can Apple cider vinegar Cure Gout In The Foot? Get the Answer Here Before discussing if apple cider vinegar can cure gout in the foot or not, we really need to get a good understanding of what causes gout in the first place...It all begins with having higher-than-normal levels of uric acid in your body. Under...
- Allopurinol is really a medicine that reduces the metabolism of uric acid from purines.
- It is effective but has much potential toxicity.
New drug, febuxostat (Uloric) is the first new treatment option to be approved by the FDA in more than four decades.
The FDA Approved the Drug in 40 Mg
As well as 80 mg. strengths. Takeda, the company that developed the drug, initially requested approval for 80 mg. and 120 mg versions, but the agency was concerned about possible cardiovascular side effects stemming from the higher doses.
- Uloric had been evaluated in clinical trials involving a lot more than 4,000 people.
- The most common side effects reported were liver function abnormalities, nausea, joint pain and rash.
Uloric works by blocking an enzyme called xanthine oxidase, which helps prevent uric acid production, decreasing increased uric acid levels.
Xanthine oxidase is the same chemical that allopurionol works on but Uloric apparently has many fewer side effects.
Several clinical trials, febuxostat was more effective than both placebo and allopurinol.
The drug pegloticase (Puricase) may help gout patients that have had no luck with other treatments, according to researchers who studied 212 patients who had run out of treatment options.
The patients were randomly assigned to receive 6 months of intravenous treatment with either pegloticase or a placebo. One group of patients received 8 milligrams of pegloticase every two weeks, another group received 8 milligrams of pegloticase every one month, and a third group obtained the placebo.
The patients who were primarily men with an average age of 55 years, had a significantly better response to pegloticase than to placebo.
- Also, a lot more of the patients who took the drug had much more complete resolution of tophi.
- The patients who took pegloticase also noticed improved physical function.
- Pegloticase was successful in treating 40 percent of patients.
- Successful treatment was defined as having uric acid readings within the normal range at least 80 percent of the time in months three and six.
- Patients who took pegloticase had more serious adverse side effects than those who took the placebo.
- This may limit the effectiveness of the drug to be able to more severe cases.
Nathan Wei, MD FACP FACR is a nationally known board-certified rheumatologist. For more info: Arthritis" http://www.arthritis-treatment-and-relief.com/arthritis-treatment.html" Arthritis Treatment and Tendonitis Remedy Tips.