Could Your Shoes Be Causing Gout?
Here's a piece of health advice for those who suffer gout: take note of what shoes you are wearing. A new study shows that wearing poor footwear is common among gout patients and leads directly to more pain and greater disability.
According to the new examine, gout patients who make poor footwear choices experienced higher foot-related discomfort, impairment as well as disability. Gout patients also reported that comfort, fit, support and cost were the most important factors for selecting footwear.
Gout is a type of inflammatory arthritis caused by the crystallization of uric acid within the joints and other tissues. It leads to serious pain and swelling, along with the majority of cases affecting the feet -- particularly the big toe. A study published last month showed that doctor-diagnosed gout has gone up over the past 20 years and now affects 8.3 million people in the U.S. Furthermore, older studies have shown that gout contributes to changes in peoples' gait (in order to avoid pain) and thus sets the stage for damaged foot function.
Here, New Zealand researchers recruited 50 patients with a history of gout and looked at each case, overall function, foot impairment, and disability. They assessed what footwear the patients had and why they chose it.
Look Up Types of Arthritis and Treatment of Gout Arthritis is a degenerative disease that strikes in aged individuals. It is common to see the old generation complaining of pain, swelling, and discomfort in the joints. However, there are different types of arthritis that affect people in different...
- They learned that gout patients often wore improper footwear and experienced moderate to be able to severe foot pain, impairment and disability.
- Roughly 56% of patients made good footwear choices by wearing walking footwear, fitness sneakers, or oxfords.
- These are more likely to provide pain relief and not make patients walk funny.
- Of the remaining patients, 42% donned footwear which was considered poor.
- Included in this are sandals, flip-flops, slippers, or even moccasins.
Top 10 Home Remedies to Reduce Uric Acid Level
Best 10 Home Remedies to Lower Uric Acid Level Naturally. Learn how to cure and prevent gout attack and hyperuricemia using 10 natural ayurvedic home ...
- Poor footwear lacks support, has improper shock reducing, is less steady, and has less motion control.
- Those gout patients who wore poor shoes or sandals reported greater foot-related disadvantages and disability.
- More than half of all participants wore shoes that were 12 months or older and showed excessive wear patterns.
- Basically, the idea here is that if you have gout or are at risk of it, you should make sure you have good shoes that are stable and well-cushioned.
- Also, it's a good idea to replace shoes once they become less in a position to fulfill these qualities.
- After all, you don't want to stop doing physical activity.