Bored of Cherries? Try Berries for your Gout Treatment!
When searching for a natural remedy for your gout, cherries and cherry juice are often the first food that pops up. But we are now finding that it's not just cherries. Other berries are also helpful for lowering uric acid levels. Strawberries, blueberries, and other red-blue berries tend to be high in antioxidants, decreased purine, and have low acidity, making them perfect snacks for gout sufferers.
Gout is due to high levels of uric acid, which in turn crystallizes in the joints, especially in the toes, feet and knees. Large amounts of those sharp crystals cause painful gout flares. The goal of many natural remedies and also prescription medications is to either lessen uric acid levels (prevention) or pain and inflammation relief from present gout flares, or both.
- Eating berries will not likely stop a gout size, but eating these regularly helps to lower uric acid levels, staving off the painful attacks.
- Some of the best berries to keep the uric acid levels low are:
Gout and Diet: Treatment for Gout Flare-Ups with Cherries or Cherry Juice
Gout and Diet: Treatment for Gout Flare-Ups with Cherries or Cherry Juice Over the last 40 years, the burden of gout, a painful inflammatory arthritis, has risen ...
Strawberries- Flavonoids are another inhibitor of the enzyme cyclooxygenase (COX), the same chemical that is inhibited from the flavonoids in cherries and by NSAIDs such as ibuprofen. Flavonoids are helpful in the reduction of swelling. Strawberries are high in flavonoids such as pelargonidin and contain small amounts of the cyanidin, delphinidin and also petunidin. Pelargonidin is the substance helping to make strawberries red.
- Blueberries- These little berries are quite full of anthocyanidin, an important flavonoid.
- As with most other fruits, also, they are extremely high in antioxidants.
- Eat lots of these to be able to keep your uric acid levels as low as you possibly can.
- Elderberries- Elderberries are great for gout as also, they are low in purine, but high in cyanidin.
- However, the red elderberries shouldn't be ingested at all, and white elderberries should not be eaten raw.
- If you want to get the benefits of elderberries, choose elderberry juice or elderberry extracts.
Check out a tasty antioxidant-rich, low purine dessert option here at Health.com
Eating a low purine diet hasn't helped to reduce your gout flares, talk to your doctor about colchicine, a prescription drug proven to reduce the severity and numeracy of gout attacks. With the recent price jump in the U.s.a. market, consider Big Offroad Drugs, a Canadian online pharmacy supplying both brand name Colcrys and its generic alternative, colchicine.